Yesterday Jean and I drove to Oriskany, New York, to take Ceil home after her 10-day visit for Mark’s graduation. Ceil is incredible for 86-years old, more spry at that age than some people I know who are 30 years younger! Jean and I both agree that if we can sign up right now to be as good as Ceil as octogenarians, we would do so immediately.
There are 11 teaching days left, so hopefully the weather will cooperate, since my school heats up like an oven when temperatures get too high. I have many busy evenings ahead, but while some will be boring meetings, others will be enjoyable, including a scholarship dinner, a Target Teach celebration, and Senior Awards night. And once exams start, the stress level will drop considerably.
Currently reading: Ross King’s Michelangelo and the Pope’s Ceiling is a nonfiction story about how autocratic pope Julius II summoned the most famous artist of early 16th century Italy to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. There are many fascinating aspects to the book, including sections explaining how fresco painting is done, how various pigments are produced, how teams of artists work together to do such massive projects, plus all the politics in Renaissance Italy which involved both religion and art. Michelangelo and Julius are the main characters, of course, but other artists such as Leonardo Da Vinci and Raphael also show up in Rome as rivals of Michelangelo.
This is fascinating reading, both for its main storyline and for all it shows about Renaissance Italy. I recommend it very highly.
out of the depths
random thoughts

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home