Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Some random comments...

The rally Monday was very long and tiring, but it felt good making a stand for what I feel is right. Not only were teachers there, but other public employees such as firemen and policemen. Do you think it makes sense for legislators to alienate three of the most important groups of workers in the entire state?

My AWAY message currently says “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas,” and that is surely true. However, some houses look so garish with their abundance of white lights and air-filled balloons that sometimes that is a fairly foolish Christmas look.

I am currently reading Stephen Baxter’s new collection of far-future xeelee stories Resplendent, and only one-quarter through the book it is affirming my belief that he is one of the finest traditional-type sf writers currently writing. Two others in that category are Alastair Reynolds and Jack McDevitt.

When I see somebody I know is Catholic, I say “Merry Christmas” to them. When I see somebody I know is Jewish I say “Happy Chanukah” to them. I find it foolish though when somebody who knows my religion still feels obligated to say the neutral “Happy Holidays” to me. For what reason? Political correctness run amuck? Fear that I might be a fallen Catholic who would be offended by mention of Christmas?

Cold and flu season is creeping into the high school, with more and more people either looking under the weather or staying home sick. I’m fighting off something right now, and I intend to beat it, but God help the person who infected me if I find out who they are!

I am a long-time rock and roller, with my favorite artists including the Kinks, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, and Richard Thompson. But like many people I have a guilty pleasure, and mine is Elton John. Yeah, I know he is waaay over the top at times, and his albums are so uneven some of them are primarily filler. But, man, can he write a tune! At his best there are only a small handful of songwriters who can match him note for note.

1 Comments:

Blogger pearbunny said...

I am definitely NOT the virus spreader. nope! ^__^
Good luck fighting off the germs though.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home