There are two basic categories of math: the first is applied math, stuff like Differential Equations, Complex Variables, and Statistics, whose main functions are their applications in such fields as science, economics, and business.
The second is pure math, which on the surface is self-generating, stuff like Abstract Algebra and Topology, which is basically only done by career mathematicians, and which is more related to art and philosophy in that it has no immediately apparent applications to anybody but mathematicians. Of course, when you go deep enough into those areas, they obviously do have applications, but sometimes it takes a long time to get there. Such as in Abstract Algebra in which you have to wade through most of Galois Theory before you reach the insolubility of the quintic equation, which is immediately applicable on the most basic level.
I have never been very interested in applied math, probably because I have never been particularly interested in science. I know that sounds contradictory for somebody whose lifelong passion has been science fiction, but if you read any of my theories on sf, you know that I strongly believe “science fiction” is a misnomer for a field which is really more concerned with “future history”, with hard science as one aspect of that larger umbrella.
In any case, I have always preferred pure math, finding it much more speculative and much more interesting. When I was a grad student, my personal philosophy in picking math courses was “If it’s useful, it’s useless!”
I mention all of this now because I have never taken a Statistics course in my life, nor have I ever taught it except as a small segment of my honors Algebra II class. But next year I am teaching Advanced Placement Statistics for the first time. That is a first year college course, very useful stuff which I do not know at all. So I am currently spending one hour each afternoon learning Statistics. As I expected, it is not very difficult, but how could a first year college course be difficult to somebody with 100+ credits and a Masters Degree in mathematics?
More importantly, it is mildly interesting, so I am not bored doing it. And I feel it is always good to keep learning new things, especially as one reaches middle age (much as I might hate to admit it! ☺), so I am pleased to be doing it. I hope this sets a trend for all summers when I can learn something new on a regular basis to keep that important muscle in my head in good shape!
out of the depths
random thoughts

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home