Sunday, February 22, 2004

For somebody whose life often revolves around reading and writing, I might surprise you by admitting that I am a big sports fan too. I guess that comes partly from growing up with three brothers who lived and breathed sports, although having a wife who enjoys sports and two sons who played a lot of sports certainly adds to the situation.

However–and this should not surprise some of you–I rarely watch sports on television, or attend live sporting events. I prefer reading about it in the newspapers! I’m a reader, after all. ☺

Anyway, compulsive list-maker that I am, here is my unofficial list of sports teams which I would most like to see win a championship:

#5: NEW JERSEY GIANTS. The only Super-Bowls I’ve watched in the past twenty years were the Giants’ three appearances.

#4: NEW YORK YANKEES. I grew up a Yankee fan, and Roger Maris was my favorite athlete as a child (I think I related to his introverted personality). Since I grew up in a family of Mantle-lovers, I was probably the only person I knew who was actually happy when Roger hit 61 home runs!

#3: NEW YORK NETS. My brothers and I were at the last ABA game when Dr. J led the Nets back to an amazing championship. We’re still angry at the Nets for selling him to the Sixers, and we’re frustrated that every time the Nets build a winning team, something drastic happens, such as Micheal Ray Richardson falling off the drug wagon, and Drazon Petrovic dying in a car crash. We fully expected Jason Kidd to sign with the San Antonio Spurs, and we breathed a sigh of relief when he actually re-signed with the Nets.

#2: SETON HALL PIRATES. Hey, that’s my alma mater, and I root for them avidly. They are the only team I actually watch play, both on television (although admittedly I always have a test to grade when they’re on tv) and in person (We’re going to our 4th game of the season Saturday). They got robbed in the NCAA championship in 1989 and my brothers and I have not trusted NCAA refs since.

#1: EAST STROUDSBURG WARRIORS. Are you saying “huh” right now? That’s Andy’s team, and how could I root for any team as avidly as my son’s own team? I was thrilled when Andy helped lead his high school team to the county cross-country championship and to the meet of champions twice. And Andy’s two conference championships in the 3,200 meter run were phenomenal. Go Warriors!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home