I am not a big tv watcher, but there are a few shows that I do watch regularly:
• when we awake each morning and are doing some chores such as make the bed, and doing our morning exercises, we invariably watch The Weather Channel where Stefanie Abrams and Mike Bettis provide the daily weather news across the nation. This is certainly preferable to watching either NBC’s Today Show (where the news is mostly celebrity-oriented), or NJ 12 (where it is crime and political news). My favorite media celebrity works for TWC–Jim Cantore! Whenever there is an “extreme” weather condition, whether it be a hurricane, blizzard or even tornadoes, he is always standing right in the middle of it making a report. Last night, when the Southeast experienced an epidemic of tornadoes, over 20 of them reported in one night, Jim Cantore was there putting his life on the line for the sake of reporting the weather!
• In the middle of the day, we take a lunch break and it is always at 12:30 so we can watch Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and pit our intellects against the contestants (and either looking down our noses at how foolish they are, or being impressed when they are brighter than we are).
• After supper, I work for another hour or so before stopping at 7:00 to watch my very favorite show: Jeopardy! This is the show I would love to be a contestant on, because many nights I really believe I am better than the people on the show. It is such fun that I have a computer Jeopardy! game which I play regularly too. This is my kind of reality show.
• I always spend 2-3 hours reading at night, but usually I will sit in the rec room where Jean is watching tv. She never watches typical tv shows; her choice is either documentaries (her favorite type generally involves predatory animals eating harmless herbivores; those shows invariably chase me out of the room) or sporting events. I have no problem reading while either a Yankees baseball game or Nets basketball game is showing, so I can keep up with the score without looking up from my book too often.
And that’s it! Other than Millionaire and Jeopardy!, I do not watch any tv that requires me to actually pay attention. Thus I have never seen an episode of Seinfeld, Friends, Heroes, Lost or American Idol (ok, I confess I saw 1 episode of this show during the finale of its second season, mostly out of curiosity). The last program I watched regularly was the first season of Battlestar Galactica, which I liked a lot. I do not recall why I never watched another season, but it was probably related to not wanting to waste reading time. That's a priority which will likely never change.
out of the depths
random thoughts

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home