One of my favorite classes to teach is my ESL class, since the majority of its students are new immigrants who have a strong work ethic. In the past month I have gotten 4 new students from China, two of whom are learning Precalculus, one Algebra 2 and one Algebra 1. I worry about that class next year, since most teachers cannot handle having a dozen students doing 5 different curricula (I also have students in the class doing Pre-Algebra and Calculus).
I know that at most schools every ESL Math student learns the same curriculum, no matter what their level is upon entering the school. My wife knew a girl who was a senior taking all advanced placement classes except for a low-level math class, because she had entered the school as an ESL freshman and was forced to learn a slow Algebra 1 class in spite of her already knowing that subject before coming to this country.
I worry about all my students next year, perhaps unnecessarily so, but I will have those same fears whenever I decide to retire, so unless I plan to spend my entire life in the classroom, I might as well get over the guilt and go on with my life.
out of the depths
random thoughts

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home