Saturday, December 13, 2008

I am really worried about my AP Calculus class. Last year I barely had enough time to prepare them for the annual AP test in May, and they would have done better with another week or two of preparation. As a result, the scores overall were the lowest my class has ever had, with only 6 out of 12 students getting a score of 5 and the rest divided between 4's and 3's. This year I am already over a week behind that pace, largely because the principal keeps allowing another teacher to take all my AP Calculus students out of class for field trips because the teacher (and apparently the principal) has no consideration for other AP classes than his own.

Ironically, the Board of Ed policy is that no student should go on more than 5 field trips per year, but even though the principal claimed at the beginning of the year that he was cutting back on field trips this year, there has been no visible attempt either to do that or to follow Board of Ed policy. It is becoming increasingly frustrating to try to do the best job I can for my students in a school where education is obviously becoming less and less of a priority, so while I still love working with my students and helping them as much as I can, perhaps it is time for me to leave before the stress of the school’s anti-education attitude ruins my health.

Mimi, Jason and Sally all got accepted into their “early decision” schools, so I am happy for them. Hopefully all my other students will do as well with their regular decision applications.

One of my chores this weekend is updating the Math Team standings scores since one of the questions on the contest was thrown out. Mimi was one of the people who wrote a protest for the problem, so she was at least partially responsible for the ruling. ☺

Currently listening: The Kinks’ Celluloid Heroes, their best songs from the early 70s. If anybody can break my foul mood, it’s Ray Davies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home