I write best when I can flit from project to project for several reasons. One reason is that after I complete a draft of either a story or a nonfiction article, I like to think about it awhile before revising it. Another reason is that there are so many projects I want to finish that I enjoy keeping my hand in several of them simultaneously.
In the past week I have flitted between two nonfiction books–both first drafts–to a science fiction story in one of my two future history sequences (both of which are actually part of the same future timeline). I hope to finish that draft within a few days, then I’ll see where my whims take me next.
So rather than complete a project in four-to-six months, I am liable to go an entire year without finishing anything, then complete two-to-three projects in a matter of weeks.
MORE SNOW COMING TOMORROW?!?! At least that is the forecast so far, starting overnight, then turning into freezing rain during the morning and–-hopefully–-warming up and becoming all rain in the afternoon. If that last part happens, we’ll be all right, but up here on the hill there is always the possibility it will never get above freezing and we’ll be stuck with a thick coating of ice for several days.
As my friend Tom said to me at the YMCA this morning, I’m soooooo glad I do not have to drive to school every morning anymore!
Soon to be listening: I ordered two recent albums which I am excited about. Blackmore’s Night is a group featuring Richie Blackmore and his wife doing what can best be described as progressive-medieval-folk music. I ordered their live album Past Times With Good Company as an import from Germany, but since I ordered it through Amazon.com the price was no higher than if it was a domestic release.
My favorite current band is progressive-folk-rockers The Decemberists, both of whose last 2 albums were my albums-of-the-year, The Crane Wife (my favorite album of the 2000s) and Hazards of Love. Their soon-to-be-released followup The King is Dead is already getting rave reviews, so I ordered it from Amazon.com as well.
Currently reading. C.J. Cherryh is one of my very favorite writers, and I have not read her first collection of short fiction Visible Light in 25 years. So far, it is just as good as my memory of that first reading was.
out of the depths
random thoughts

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home